Wednesday 14 August 2013

DOM during confinement

DOM Benedictine

im drinking this during my confinement.
some people drinks hard liquor? 

albeit fully breastfeeding, i drink it neat.
means i drink straight, undiluted.
in small amount. 2 gulps is all it takes.

some sources postulated that we should steam the liquor before consuming, so that all the alcohol will evaporate.
whilst more sources were found to suggest mothers drinking the alcohol and to wait for a minimum of 2 hours before breastfeeding.

some also claims that alcohol can reduce breast milk.

someone told mom that it will be useless if u steam off the alcohol, might as well don't drink.

well during my first pregnancy, i started drinking this beginning in the 2nd week.
at that time i diluted it with my red dates tea.
and i drank triple the amount of this!
according to my godmom, i should drink till my cheeks flush!
unfortunately not.
i did not have rosy cheeks after the confinement, neither do i this time.

confinement #1: 4 bottles
confinement #2: 1 bottle

my sweetiepie is again jaundice this time so we (mom and i) delayed the liquor.
since mom did not mention and did not bring out the DOM, i kept quiet about it too.
furthermore, i think mom did that because i was operated?
or was it because baby is jaundice.
yes, this time round she is armed with more knowledge.


so my confinement lady served me this after my confinement.
yes, sweetiepie is still jaundice till today, 2 months old.
ruled out everything: LFT, UFEME, hyperthyroidism. all negative.

diagnosis should be prolonged breastfeeding jaundice.

im not an alcoholic, but it is a dilemma of whether or not i should drink this for my benefit or drop this for his benefit.

the father was concerned.
asked me to pump and discard my milk after my drinking session.
no way i would do that.
sorry honey.
my breast milk are just too precious. i aint gonna do that.
he relented and gave the green light.

i have made my choice.
what is yours?
;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

million, DOM is heaty ya? i drink that for a week and i get a lot of ulcers which are really painful. so i stopped. but what is the correct amount? i drink almost 1/3 cup every night though.. but like i say i stopped and the bottle is sitting in my room, collecting dust. sometimes i use it to bake chicken cause i dont want to waste the bottle. chicken becomes more moist leh..

-yieng-

curiositykills said...

i suppose so yieng. it should keep our body warm hence most postnatal women need it :)

er, 1/3 cup. which cup are u referring to?

u know the normal chinese tea cup? just half of that.

like 2 gulps?

u try again. take 1-2 gulps only.
and drink lots of water.
can even drink day time if it doesnt make u drunk.

i will only get dizzy but im still conscious. hehe
sometimes i drink in the afternoon ;)